Date: 24 June, 2017
Click here to register/RSVP for this social running weekend. Registrations close 18th of June.
This will be a free (accommodation, food and park entry at own expense) social running weekend based out of Melrose Caravan Park, with outstanding trail running in Mount Remarkable national park – South Australia’s best kept trail running secret.
Alternatively, there is a range of accommodation around town, including:
We will be emphasising self-sufficiency on these runs and sticking to large groups. The trails will not be marked. As it is a social run there is no timing, aid stations etc. The trails are both beautiful and remote, without public vehicle access. Running is at own risk – prepare accordingly.
- On Friday Night, 23rd of June we will be meeting at the North Star Hotel in Melrose for dinner at 8PM. Otherwise, if you don’t catch us that night, you can meet us the following morning at the caravan park. We will be taking pre-orders for this and will send a menu out in advance. Dinner has been booked for 30 at this stage although they would have seating for more but pre-orders will be mandatory.
- On Saturday, 24th of June there will be a choice of two social runs. For maps, scroll down to the bottom of this page:
- Alligator Gorge to Melrose – 38KM, with carpooling to the start. Start from Alligator Gorge 8:00AM. This will be a long day on some fairly remote trails – bring nutrition for the day as well as at least 2 litres of water (refills available at rainwater tanks – you may wish to bring water purification tablets). Last year this took around 7.5 hours with regular stopping to regroup, chat and generally enjoy ourselves. A vehicle entry fee applies for entry into the park – $10. This is payable online and can be sorted out before we head off and while we have sufficient phone coverage in Melrose.
- Mt. Remarkable Summit – 12KM, starting and finishing at the caravan park. The run leader will be Alan Clarke who is race director for the conquer the summit race on this course later this year.Start from Melrose 8:00AM. Expect to take 3-5 hours as this is still a good hill. You will need to bring sufficient water and we recommend sticking with the group.
- On Saturday Night, 24th of June we will be heading out for dinner at the Mt. Remarkable hotel. A booking for 30 has been made for 7:30PM. If the numbers get closer to 40 we can have the dining room to ourselves.
- On Sunday, 25th of June we will be joining for a laid-back social 12KM loop of Alligator Gorge, before heading back to Adelaide.
What to bring
- Own Snacks/etc for the weekend.
- The usual supplies for self-sufficiency when trail running – a camelbak, snacks, first aid, mobile phone etc. This is an unsupported run. Bring a spare mobile phone battery if you can as we will be showing you how to use your phone as a backup map. Mobile coverage in the park is patchy and sporadic.
- Install the Galileo offline maps app on your phone before you come (iphone link android link). At dinner on Friday night please approach Murray, Claire or others and we will show you how to load the maps into your phone.
- At least 2L (preferably 3L) of water to carry if you are doing the 38KM run – you may also wish to bring water purification tablets for treating rainwater.
- Money for vehicle entry fee into Mt.Remarkable national park for those doing the 38KM run.
Please let us know if you will be attending by filling out the form here.