Altitude Range:343 m
Total Climb:706 m
- From Foxfield Oval buildings, go south-east to left corner of oval. Squeeze through obesity-exclusion gate in chain link fence by small creek.
- Go another 100m to narrow bridge across creek, just before green-roofed buildings. Cross this bridge, pass illustrated signs on the right. Go up hill for about 400m eastwards. Turn left (northwards) at top of hill.
- Go for c.2kms northwards, passing sign on the left to Athelstone Wildflower Garden, then past an intersection, to green sign saying Ghost Tree Gully. Turn right (east) and go for c.1.5 kms up steep hill, ignoring two sign-posted turnoffs to right.
- At the top, you emerge onto a saddle and ignore a sign-posted turnoff to the left. Instead, fork right towards Main Ridge Track. When you reach a junction, turn sharp right (southwards) up a steep hill closed to vehicles by a single-bar gate. Take a well-used footpath up this hill, which at the top joins the vehicle track towards the summit.
- Before you reach the summit, you come a junction by a white oval tank. Turn LEFT along Black Hill Track. After 100m turn right into Orchard Track.
- Follow this down for perhaps 2 kms to Montacute Rd.
- Turn right down Montacute Rd for 1.6kms, to turnoff to right which is Quarry Track.
- Go up this notorious hill for 2.6 kms to green sign (facing the other way) to Black Hill Summit The summit is 50m to the left.
- From this sign, about 400m further on, you come to turnoff to the left signposted Summit Nature Trail.
- Go down this. The term goat track acquires fresh meaning.
- After 700m breakneck descent, you come to a sign to the right saying Summit Link Trail. Ignore this, and turn sharp LEFT to continue along Summit Nature Trail (not signposted here).
- This takes you down to the intersection at the Parks gate which you passed on the way out. Turn left and immediately afterwards right, to return to the start the way you came.