Altitude Range:321 m
Total Climb:1033 m
- Starting from Croft Rd, follow Mawson Trail westwards for 3.5 kms. Ignore the Mawson Trail Loop signs which are identical to the Mawson Trail signs except that they have a loop logo. At 3.5 kms, you reach the intersection with the Heysen Trail. This is clearly marked, and there is a glass-fronted map under a roof.
- Turn left into Heysen Trail and follow this for c.2 kms, entering Montacute Conservation Park, and descending to the bottom of a deep valley. The track turns left and after c.150m take a rough track to the right going up a steep slope.
- After c.1.3 kms you reach a gate and just beyond this you come to Stone Hut Rd (signposted) which is also the Mawson Trail.
- Turn right, and follow this for 2 kms up a steep hill, to the intersection with the Heysen Trail which you passed before.
- Now turn left into Koch Track/Heysen Trail. After c.1.3 kms you reach the bottom of a steep valley with a camp ground on the right. The track turns sharp right. Immediately, c.20m further on, take an indistinct path to the left. Follow this down a steep bank and across a creek. From here onwards, the route over Mt Misery is usually marked with our signs.
- Follow a disused track uphill for c. 300m. The track turns round to the right, then continues to the top of a bare hill with magnificent views.
- Continue in a straight line over this hill, and descend to a saddle. After c.300m from the top of the hill, go through a gate in front of you.
- Continue uphill to a ridge. Turn right and you see the Mt Misery trig point. From a point c.150m further on, the Mt Misery Track (not signposted but much used) goes downhill. Follow it for 1.5 kms.
- At the bottom of a dip, the track forks. The left fork has a sign barring access to vehicles.
- Follow this for c.400m until you reach an indistinct path on your right, down a steep slope.
- This brings you back to Koch Track/Heysen Trail. Turn left.
- After c.1 km you come to a Heysen Trail arrow pointing left off Koch Track. Take this turning.
- Follow Heysen Trail for c.2.5 kms until you come to Grandad’s Camp on the left and Pratts Track turning right. Follow Pratts Track.
- After c.300m you reach a fork. It doesn’t matter which fork you take, but I’ve been following the left one which from memory is CC17.
- After another 1.2 kms which include ascent of a monster hill, you reach an intersection of 7 tracks on a ridge. Turn left into the largest track, which happens to be the only one not signposted! This is Big End Track.
- Follow this for c.2.5 kms till you reach the bottom of a valley and Fox Creek Rd car park. Ignore turnoff uphill to Old Ned’s Track.
- Turn right to the furthest end of the car park, and follow a track running away from the car park along the bottom of a valley. This is The Guts Track; but a sign doesn’t appear until 200m later.
- After another 150m, turn left into Ridge Track, up a steep and long hill.
- After 2.9 kms of climbing, at the top of a ridge, you come to Farrel Track. Turn right into this and after about one km you return to the start point.