Altitude Range:313 m
Total Climb:854 m
- Starting from Croft Rd, follow Mawson Trail westwards for 3.5 kms. Ignore the Mawson Trail Loop signs which are indentical to the Mawson Trail signs except that they have a loop logo. At 3.5 kms, you reach the intersection with the Heysen Trail. This is clearly marked, and there is a glass-fronted map under a roof.
- Turn left into Heysen Trail and follow this for c.2 kms, entering Montacute Conservation Park, and descending to the bottom of a deep valley. The track turns left and after c.150m take a rough track to the right going up a steep slope.
- After c.1.3 kms you reach a gate and just beyond this you come to Stone Hut Rd (signposted) which is also the Mawson Trail.
- Turn right, and follow this for 2 kms up a steep hill, to the intersection with the Heysen Trail which you passed before.
- Now turn left into Koch Track/Heysen Trail. After c.1.3 kms you reach the bottom of a steep valley with a camp ground on the right. The track turns sharp right. Immediately, c.20m further on, take an indistinct path to the left. Follow this down a steep bank and across a creek. From here on the route over Mt Misery is usually marked with our signs.
- Follow a disused track uphill for c. 300m. The track turns round to the right, then continues to the top of a bare hill with magnificent views.
- Continue in a straight line over this hill, and descend to a saddle. After c.300m from the top a hill, go through the gate in front of you and continue to the Mt Misery trig point.
- From a point c.150m further on, the Mt Misery Track (not signposted but well used) goes downhill. Follow it for 1.5 kms.
- At the bottom of a dip, the track forks. The left fork has a sign barring access to vehicles. At this point, turn sharp right into an indistinct track, crossed by many fallen saplings.
- Follow this for c.400m until you reach an indistinct path on your right, down a steep slope.
- This brings you back to Koch Track/Heysen Trail. Turn left.
- Follow Koch Track for one km until you come to a junction with Thomas Hill Track. Ignore left turn into Heysen Trail 250m before this junction.
- Turn left and follow Thomas Hill Track back to the start, ignoring a left turn into Munns Track.