Date: Sun, 14 October 2018
Start: Junction of Chambers Gully Rd and Waterfall Gully Rd, 7.00 a.m.
Distance: 11km or 15 km options
Parking: there is some at the start, however car pooling with friends is advised. There are no toilets at the start – please go along the way.
Coffee and social hour at the Base Camp Cafe by the round-about the corner of Glynburn and Waterfall Gully Road.
Please download the maps to your phone before the run as this will be a self supported run and is not marked.
Distance: approx 13.75 km
Altitude Range: approx 190 m
Total Climb: approx 388 m
- The run starts and finishes at the Chambers Gully entrance.
- The run follows Burnside Council walking trails which are well sign posted. There are sections along wide fire tracks and along roads as well as along some narrow rocky tracks that will require care as they have steep sides.
- 0.00 Start run along east side (LHS) of Waterfall Gully Road and cross over road at crossing sign and cross culvert behind barrier to gate 0.40
- 0.40 Go through gate and take hard right and follow fire track to big tree at junction with several trails 1.04
- 1.44 Turn left and follow Centre Track up the ridge to start of Bullock Track. The challenge is to run the whole way up the hill. Council marker CP32 0.97
- 2.41 Veer right (not up the Bullock Track) through park gate CP 31, cross Heywood Drive, past CP22 through park gate 11 and follow fire track past CP 24 to top of ridge 1.08
- 3.49 Continue past track on left and on to junction with path on right CP16 0.28
- 3.77 Follow Gully Track which does big zigzag to near Allandale Ave cul-de-sac CP 21 0.49
- 4.26 Hard turn left to cross creek bed then at junction go up hill on narrow Rocky Track. Do not follow track down creek bed 0.28
- 4.54 Take care up narrow zigzag path to meet fire track CP15 0.50
- 5.04 Turn right and continue on fire track to driveway to house. 0.58
- 5.62 Cross driveway and continue along narrow track and zigzag down crossing wide path to CP 14 0.30
- 5.92 Follow track around hillside through to junction with Mt Osmond Road 1.15
- 7.07 Turn left and run behind barrier to its end then run along LHS of road. There is generally a wide shoulder on this side. Take care of traffic behind. 0.23
- 7.30 Pass Birkdale Road follow path behind barriers on left side of road. 0.43
- 7.73 Pass Gleneagles Drive and follow shoulder on left side of road 0.34
- 8.07 Cross road at Council U pipe marker and follow path on right side of road. 0.19
- 8.26 Cross golf course entrance and turn right still along Mt Osmond Road. Continue along fence line to junction with Bullock and Centre Tracks CP 32 0.52
- 9.78 Continue along Centre Track for 60m then veer right at sign board and follow the PWT 0.30
- 10.08 Cross over Centre Track and continue to follow marked PWT track 2.06
- 12.14 At left U-turn leave PWT and continue straight ahead on to Centre Track, follow track to junction at large tree. 0.16
- 12.30 Turn right and follow track back to Waterfall Gully Road, 1.05
- 13.35 Cross culvert then road and run on east side (RHS) back to Chambers Gully entrance and finish. 0.4
Mt. Osmond Short
Distance: approx 11 km
Altitude Range: approx 180 m
Total Climb: approx 336 m
From Chamber’s Gully entrance, head up Waterfall Gully Rd for 400m, cross the road and go up Centre Track.
At 1.5km turn sharp left to continue up Centre Track (steep!).
At 2.7km cross Hayward drive onto Mt Osmond Fire Access Track.
At 3.8km turn sharp right onto Wheal Watkins Track.
At the junction at 4.6km keep left onto Wheal Watkins Loop.
At 5.4km turn left onto Mt Osmond Fire Access Track and follow the way you came.
Cross over Hayward Dr again at 6.6km and after 100m veer right onto Pioneer Womens Walking Trail/Bay view Track.
At 9.2km return to the start via Centre track.
Download GPX File | Full Screen | How to use these maps on your phone | Print this map