Date: Sat, 27 February 2021
Join us for a social weekend of running, hiking and relaxing at Waitpinga
Saturday: 30km and 17km start at 7am, 12km starts at 8am
Sunday: 24km starts at 7am, 10km starts at 8am
As per previous years, TRSA is organising a social weekend of running, at no charge, which anyone is welcome to attend on Saturday 27 & Sunday 28 February, 2021. This time we’re using Waitpinga as our base and we’re excited to host a fun and relaxed weekend away like we have at Melrose in previous years.
This will be a self-service style weekend where you make your own accommodation arrangements, sort your own food and drinks and we’ll organise a series of runs and hikes for you to choose from in this stunning area. If you’re keen to attend, we encourage you to secure your accommodation option sooner rather than later as it is a popular area and a great time of year to visit. Read on for some accommodation suggestions and to see the runs we have planned for the weekend.
If you’re keen to join us, please complete this form so we contact you with all the details for the weekend.
- Waitpinga Campgrounds (Dennis Road, which comes off Waitpinga Road). Book and pay at https://www.parks.sa.gov.au/find-a-park/Browse_by_region/Fleurieu_Peninsula/newland-head-conservation-park
- Other camping grounds are located in Deep Creek Conservation Park including Stringybark campground (which has hot showers) and Trig campground. Book and pay at https://www.parks.sa.gov.au/find-a-park/Browse_by_region/Fleurieu_Peninsula/deep-creek-conservation-park
- Camping, caravans, camper trailers can be used at Victor Harbor Holiday & Cabin Park, Port Elliot Holiday Park and any other parks you can find. There are also heaps of motels close by.
Entry to Deep Creek Conservation Park for Saturday
- Cost for park entry is $11. Please sort this prior to the day.
- To book and pay head to: https://www.parks.sa.gov.au/booking#Deep%20Creek%20Conservation%20Park
- Note: vehicle entry to Newland Head Conservation Park is free but fees apply to camping (see above).
The running/hiking plan
Long course option
- Aarons Hike/Blowhole Beach/Deep Creek – Approximately 30km with just under 1000m elevation (note: this course does include a 5km out/back section which can be missed by those wanting a little less – Aaron Creek Coastal out/back track)
- Start is Goondooloo Cottage (69 Blowhole Beach Road)
- Finish is Trig Campgrounds (Tent Rock Road, Deep Creek)
- Can arrange carpooling so cars at both ends (start and finish are approximately 5km apart)
Short course options (pick one OR do both)
- Short course 1 – Goondooloo Cottage Loop (start and finish at Goondooloo Cottage) – course is approximately 17km with 600m elevation and can be reduced by 5km by not doing out/back section along Aaron Creek Coastal out/back track).
- Short course 2 – Deep Creek Trail Hike (start and finish at Trig Camp Ground) – course is approximately 12km with approximately 500m elevation.
Extra bit for anyone interested (short hike)
- Talisker Mine Trail – exploring a bit of history – Talisker Road, Silverton (Gate 3)
Long course option
- Heysen Trail from Waitpinga to Kings Beach Road then return via Ridgeway Hill Loop (start and finish Waitpinga Campgrounds) – 24km with 675m elevation (though can turn back earlier if you wish to reduce distance).
Short course option
- Ridgeway Hill Loop (start and finish Waitpinga Campgrounds) – 10km with 325m elevation