If you prefer to run in a group, whether it be due to the social aspects, the low fuss of coming out and letting someone else plan the race, or that you get more out of training in groups, the below lists will help you find a running group suited to you needs. The groups listed below are free running groups who offer regular weekly training (or social runs) each week.
Feel free to research the group via their website page or Facebook page and then head out and see how you find running with the group. There are no obligations with any of the groups and many people swap and run with multiple groups.
The groups below either run purely on trails or run a hybrid of trails and roads depending on the day:
- TRSA (Trail Running SA) – group social runs Tuesday evenings, Thursday mornings and Sunday mornings.
- WRG (Western Running Group) – group runs Tuesday and Thursday mornings.
- SRG (Southern Running Group) – group runs Wednesday evenings and Saturday mornings.
- NRG (Northern Running Group) – group runs Monday and Wednesday evenings.
- Kathmandu & Salomon Trail Running Club – group run Thursday evening.
As well as trail running specific groups, there are also many other free running groups around Adelaide. These groups mainly stick to the flats but many of their members are known to enjoy a good trail race every now and then:
- The Running Company Run Night – group runs Wednesday evenings at both the Unley Road and Port Noarlunga shops.
- WRRN (Women’s Recreational Running Network) – group runs Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings, Thursday and Sunday mornings.
- Adelaide Running Crew – group runs Wednesday evenings and Saturday mornings.
- Salisbury Recreational Running Group – group runs Monday, Wednesday and Friday evenings, Saturday and Sunday mornings.
- Sema4 WRG – group runs Tuesday and Thursday mornings.
- Southern AC Rec Runners – group runs Friday evenings.
- Mikeller Run Club – third Thursday evening and first Saturday afternoon of the month.
- SARRC (SA Road Runners Club) – social runs most days of the week.
And of course there’s always a Parkrun around the corner from just about everywhere in South Australia!