Hi there! We have compiled a list of frequently asked questions below. Please take a look before contacting Trail Running SA as there is a good chance your question has already been answered.
About Trail Running SA
- Trail Running SA is a not for profit and volunteer run organisation that strives to put on very affordable events of the highest standard. Proceeds from our events go straight back into organising better trail running events and building up a strong trail running community.
- Late entries
- Can I do a late or on the day entry? Sorry, we don’t accept late entries after the registration cutoff time – no exceptions.
- Will I receive a partial refund if I cancel after the registration cutoff time? Sorry – there are no refunds if you request a cancellation after the registration cutoff time which is usually midday Friday before the event – the entry will be forfeited.
- Cancelling/partial refund for your registration: Click here for instructions on how to cancel your registration.
- What happens if the event is cancelled? If the event is cancelled by TRSA, for example in the case of a total fire ban or extreme weather, TRSA will offer 70% of your entry fee as a credit towards the next race. Monetary refunds will not be given. Trail Running SA is a non-profit and the remaining funds will go towards some of the costs that we can not get refunded.
- Changes to your entry
- Changing your event distance or Five Peaks start time: Click here for instructions on how to change your event distance. There is a $10 fee to change your event distance.
- Transfer of your entry to another participant: Sorry, we are unable to do this. You will need to cancel your own entry (see above) and the other participant can sign up as normal if the event registration deadline has not yet passed. If the event registration deadline has passed, the entry will be forfeited. For safety reasons you can not give your bib to another participant. If you are caught doing this both entrants will be not be permitted to enter future TRSA events.
- Transfer of your entry to a different Trail Running SA event in the future: Sorry, we are unable to do this. You will need to cancel your entry (see above) and register for the future event.
- I’ve changed my entry but haven’t received a confirmation email: When you turn up on the morning of the event check the registration board. If your nominated event is still incorrect, head to the registration manager to get it corrected.
- My name is misspelled or incorrect: Proceed to the registration manager on the day of the event to get it corrected.
- Confirming your entry
- How do I confirm that I entered? We send out an email upon registration so the easiest way is to confirm that you received the email. Search your email inbox for an email with the subject of “Registration confirmation”. If you have a work email and a private email, make sure you check both as sometimes people forget which one they registered under. On Friday afternoon before the event we load your entries into the results system. Hence after this time you can also confirm that you have entered by visiting the results page and finding your name there.
- Discounts: If you were emailed a link for a discount, you must register via that link, and you must do so before it expires, in order for the discount to apply. You must check that you are paying the expected amount before paying. We are unable to apply the discount after you have already paid. If you miss an earlybird deadline, we are unable to extend it for you – please register in advance of the deadline.
- Technical troubles
- Technical troubles with registering / payment errors: Please take a screenshot of the error, then contact us at the email address below, attaching the screenshot. If you miss a discount or cutoff deadline due to technical troubles, we are unable to shift the deadline or issue a new discount and highly recommend registering well in advance of any deadlines and contacting us well in advance if there are any issues.
- I don’t have a credit or debit card. Can I pay with cash or bank transfer? In order to keep our event and registration process simple and costs down, we do not accept cash payments for our events and accept Visa or MasterCard credit or debit cards only.
- Are there any discounts for children? Yes! See the event page for more information.
- Looking for more information on an event: Please check the event page first.
- How do I get my bib? We do not post bibs and they are available for pickup on the morning of the event – you will need to check the event page as there is further important information there on what you need to do on the morning of the event. Safety pins for attachment are supplied.
- How hilly is an event? Included on each event page are maps with a hill profile which illustrates how hilly each course is.
- When does an event start? Please check the event page.
- Am I able to walk only instead of run? For most events we welcome participants who are only walking (not running at all) for the shortest distance but not the longer distances for an event. This is the ensure that everyone is back in time safely for presentations, course closure and so that our volunteers can go home. If in doubt, check the cutoff pace for the event you are considering entering. Standard human walking pace is around 12 min/km.
- Am I able to walk or run in an event with my dog? In general no – dogs are not permitted out on the course alongside runners/walkers. Accredited disability dogs/guide dogs/hearing dogs are permitted as per requirements under state and federal legislation. Social runs have different rules which are covered elsewhere in this FAQ.
- Am I able to bring my dog on leash as a spectator to an event or to a TRSA camp? This depends on the event and the location. Note that some of our events are held on a combination of Forestry SA and National Parks land, and different policies apply to both:
- For Forestry SA areas: “Dogs are welcome in plantation forest areas, provided they are kept under direct control at all times and kept on a leash when in picnic areas or near other forest users or wildlife such as kangaroos. To protect native wildlife, dogs and other pets are not permitted in Native Forest Reserves. Please be aware fox baiting programs are undertaken periodically in Native Forest Reserves as part of regional native wildlife protection programs.”
- For National Parks areas check here to determine if this is permitted, and follow the guidelines that are given.
- Can I use walking/running poles? Yes – but please be considerate to other runners.
- Do you provide finishers medals? We aim to put on low-cost, affordable events and as a result do not provide medals to finishers. Winners and place-getters only in each event are awarded a medal. The one exception to this is the Five Peaks ultramarathon distance runners who will receive a medal. Trail Running SA members are eligible for the random draw at each event and membership is only $10. We put a lot of effort into our bib designs and they make a great event souvenir.
- Is there a minimum age? Our policy is as follows:
- Children 15 or under must be running with the supervision of an adult.
- Children under 18 must have an adult present at the event.
- We only offer discount for children in the shortest event.
- What do I need to bring to an event? Besides suitable running clothes and shoes, the main things you need to bring are a hydration container and a mobile phone. We supply professional first aid staff at our events and the first aid number is printed on the back of your race bib. Safety pins are supplied for attaching your bib.
- Do I need to print my registration info? There is no need to print anything to come along to an event.
- Can I start my event early or late? You can change your nominated event by following the event change process – see above, however you can’t start an event earlier or later than the designated start time for that event (if you have changed to a new event you need to start at the designated start time for that event). Starting at the wrong time could inadvertently cause you to be recorded in the wrong event – we may even think you have won an event, causing us significant grief. In emergency or safety related circumstances we need to know when you started and which course you are doing. We can’t make exceptions to this by manually starting you earlier – sorry.
- What happens when the course is closed? At the course closure pace the course is closed down – we remove timing points, trail marking and aid stations. We have a sweeper than runs the course at the course closure pace to ensure there are no runners remaining on the course. We strongly recommend that you check the course closure paces for the event and make sure that they match your ability. Usually the shorter distances have very generous paces so they are a good starting point if you are unsure.
- Will the event or social run be cancelled if the weather is poor? Generally the event or social run will continue rain hail or shine – the more mud the merrier. An exception to this would be a declared total fire ban day in forestry areas and/or a catastrophic fire ban day in DEWNR areas which prohibits use of the area that we are running in. Ultimately, cancellation due to extreme weather is at the discretion of the race director/social run director and in the event of a cancellation all participants will be notified and informed of the next steps.
- Can I wear headphones: Headphones are permitted but strongly discouraged – trail running events are generally very social. For your safety and others, you need to be highly aware of your surroundings, listen to warnings and essential instructions.
- What are the requirements for eligibility in the random draw? To be eligible for the random draw, you must be
- A current TRSA member as of the day of the event (the membership year ends 31st of March so make sure that you have renewed for the current year!),
- Present and competing in the event, and
- Present during the presentations/random prize draw. We read names out quite quickly and move on to the next person in the random list if the prize is not claimed so make sure that you are attentive during this time!
The Trail Running SA Series
- I’m looking for information on the series, including rules, points calculations and age calculation dates: Check out the 2018 series page, here.
- If you would like to volunteer: Check out the volunteering page, here.
- If you a volunteer for an event, and need to contact us: Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What is my membership number? We don’t supply a membership number and track members using their last name, date of birth and email address.
- When does my membership run out? The membership year runs until 31st March.
- How can I confirm that I am a current member? We send out an email upon registration of membership so the easiest way is to confirm that you received the email. Search your email inbox for an email with the subject of “Registration confirmation for Trail Running SA membership”. If you have a work email and a private email, make sure you check both as sometimes people forget which one they registered under.
- How do I become a member? See the membership page, here.
- Do I need to register for a social run? No, nor do you need to pay anything. They are casual and free of charge.
- I would like to attend a social event for the first time. What should I do? Just rock up. If you are concerned that you might be too slow, make yourself known to the organiser who will try to put you in touch with someone else your pace.
- Are social runs supported? Social runs are unsupported – unlike an event there is no timing, no first aid, no aid stations, and no facilities beyond what the park already provides. You are expected to carry food, water, basic first aid, to look after each other apply common sense at all times.
- Am I able to bring my dog on leash to a social run? This depends on the social run and the location – see the information on Forestry SA areas here and National Parks areas here to determine if this is permitted, and follow the guidelines that are given.
Querying the results/timing of an event or series scores
- Not completing an event: If you do not complete the event that you nominated your entry will be classed as a DNF.
- My age category is incorrect: Age categories are calculated as of the 1st of January. This is so that we can keep you in the same age category throughout the series.
- Timing / Query about the results of an event? Click here to submit a query.
- Errors in the results: Click here to submit a query.
- Error in series score: Click here to submit a query.
Our email address is email@example.com . Please carefully read through all the information above before contacting us as there is a good chance your question has already been answered above 🙂
Our social runs are held most Sundays when there is not another trail running event. We also do social runs Tuesday evenings and Thursday mornings. These are often announced the week before. To stay notified, sign up to our newsletter using the form below and make sure that you are following us on facebook as social runs are often announced there.