Hi there! We have compiled a list of frequently asked questions below. Please take a look before contacting Trail Running SA as there is a good chance your question has already been answered.
About Trail Running SA
- Trail Running SA is a not for profit and volunteer run organisation that strives to put on very affordable events of the highest standard. Proceeds from our events go straight back into organising better trail running events and building up a strong trail running community.
- Late entries
- Can I do a late or on the day entry? Sorry, we don’t accept late entries after the registration cutoff time – no exceptions.
- Will I receive a partial refund if I cancel after the registration cutoff time? Sorry – there are no refunds if you request a cancellation after the registration cutoff time which is usually midday Friday before the event – the entry will be forfeited.
- Cancelling/partial refund for your registration: Click the button below to cancel your registration.
- What happens if the event is cancelled? If the event is cancelled and not rescheduled by TRSA, TRSA will offer 100% of your entry fee as a credit towards TRSA series race only. Monetary refunds, or races beyond the next race, will not be given. TRSA is a not-for-profit organisations.
- I have signed up for the Active Network Booking Protection, and want to cancel my entry: This is an insurance policy that ActiveWorks add to the registration form without endorsement from Trail Running SA. We generally don’t recommend taking out this policy and encourage people to cancel their registration using our form (see above). If you have taken out this policy and wish to cancel, follow the steps at the Booking Protect website here to submit a claim.
- Changes to your entry
- Changing your event distance:
- If you are changing to a longer distance or you are self-sufficient and it is before 5 p.m. on the Thursday before the event:
- Find your confirmation email from firstname.lastname@example.org (check your junk email if you can not find it in your usual inboxes);
- select the underlined “change category” option in the registration details box on the right hand side of the email;
- This will take you to your login for ActiveWorks and from there you have the option to change categories.
- If you are changing down a distance and are not IT savvy or it is after 5 p.m. on the Thursday before the event:
- If you are changing to a longer distance or you are self-sufficient and it is before 5 p.m. on the Thursday before the event:
- Adding a bus booking or meal to your Five Peaks registration:
- Go to https://myevents.active.com/
- Login using your email and password that you used to register for the event.
- Select the “Purchase Merchandise” box.
- Select the item you need to add.
- Click continue and then complete the check out details.
- Changing your event distance:
- Transfer of your entry or race bib to another participant: Sorry, we are unable to do this. You will need to cancel your own entry (see above) and the other participant can sign up as normal if the event registration deadline has not yet passed. If the event registration deadline has passed, the entry will be forfeited. For safety reasons you can not give, transfer or sell your race bib to another participant. If you are caught doing this both entrants will be not be permitted to enter future TRSA events.
- Transfer of your entry to a different Trail Running SA event in the future: Sorry, we are unable to do this. You will need to cancel your entry (see above) and register for the future event.
- I’ve changed my entry but haven’t received a confirmation email: When you turn up on the morning of the event check the registration board. If your nominated event is still incorrect, head to the registration manager to get it corrected.
- My name is misspelled or incorrect: Proceed to the registration manager on the day of the event to get it corrected.
- My emergency contact details are misspelled or incorrect: Proceed to the registration manager on the day of the event to get it corrected.
- Confirming your entry
- How do I confirm that I entered? We send out an email upon registration so the easiest way is to confirm that you received the email. Search your email inbox for an email with the subject of “Registration confirmation”. If you have a work email and a private email, make sure you check both as sometimes people forget which one they registered under. On Friday afternoon before the event we load your entries into the results system. Hence after this time you can also confirm that you have entered by visiting the results page and finding your name there.
- Discounts: If you were emailed a link for a discount, you must register via that link, and you must do so before it expires, in order for the discount to apply. You must check that you are paying the expected amount before paying. We are unable to apply the discount after you have already paid. If you miss an earlybird deadline, we are unable to extend it for you – please register in advance of the deadline.
- Technical troubles
- I am getting an error saying I have already registered: This usually occurs because there is already a registration for that event associated with the email address you are using, for example if you registered a family member before registering yourself. The easiest way to resolve this is to register using a different email address. Note that this email address will be used to send you your registration ID, race briefing and results. If you need to change or cancel your registration later on, you will need to check this email address to find your registration ID. If you have tried this and are still having problems, please email activeworks support at email@example.com .
- Technical troubles with registering / payment errors: Please take a screenshot of the error, then contact us at the email address below, attaching the screenshot. If you miss a discount or cutoff deadline due to technical troubles, we are unable to shift the deadline or issue a new discount and highly recommend registering well in advance of any deadlines and contacting us well in advance if there are any issues.
- I don’t have a credit or debit card. Can I pay with cash or bank transfer? In order to keep our event and registration process simple and costs down, we do not accept cash payments for our events and accept Visa or MasterCard credit or debit cards only.
- Are there any discounts for children? Yes! See the event page for more information.
- Looking for more information on an event: Please check the event page first.
- How do I get my bib? We do not post bibs and they are available for pickup on the morning of the event – you will need to check the event page as there is further important information there on what you need to do on the morning of the event. Safety pins for attachment are supplied.
- How hilly is an event? Included on each event page are maps. Below each map is a graphical hill profile which shows you the location of each of the climbs on the course. Each map also has a “Total Climb” figure above it which gives you an indication of how much climb there is in the course. You can use this figure to compare sub-events with each other, or with other runs you have done. By way of comparison, the well-known Waterfall Gully to Mt. Lofty trail has about 450m of elevation.
- When does an event start? Please check the event page.
- Am I able to walk only instead of run? For most events we welcome participants who are only walking (not running at all) for the shortest distance but not the longer distances for an event. This is the ensure that everyone is back in time safely for presentations, course closure and so that our volunteers can go home. If in doubt, check the cutoff pace for the event you are considering entering. Standard human walking pace is around 12 min/km.
- Am I able to walk or run in an event with my dog? In general no – dogs are not permitted out on the course alongside runners/walkers. Accredited disability dogs/guide dogs/hearing dogs are permitted as per requirements under state and federal legislation. Social runs have different rules which are covered elsewhere in this FAQ.
- Am I able to bring my dog on leash as a spectator to an event or to a TRSA camp? This depends on the event and the location. Note that some of our events are held on a combination of Forestry SA and National Parks land, and different policies apply to both:
- For Forestry SA areas: “Dogs are welcome in plantation forest areas, provided they are kept under direct control at all times and kept on a leash when in picnic areas or near other forest users or wildlife such as kangaroos. To protect native wildlife, dogs and other pets are not permitted in Native Forest Reserves. Please be aware fox baiting programs are undertaken periodically in Native Forest Reserves as part of regional native wildlife protection programs.”
- For National Parks areas check here to determine if this is permitted, and follow the guidelines that are given.
- Can I use walking/running poles? Yes – but please be considerate to other runners.
- Do you provide finishers medals? We aim to put on low-cost, affordable events and as a result do not provide medals to finishers. Winners and place-getters only in each event are awarded a medal. The one exception to this is the Five Peaks ultramarathon distance runners who will receive a medal. Trail Running SA members are eligible for the random draw at each event and membership is only $10. We put a lot of effort into our bib designs and they make a great event souvenir.
- Is there a minimum age? Our policy is as follows:
- Children 15 or under must be running with the supervision of an adult.
- Children under 18 must have an adult present at the event.
- We offer a discount for all children under 15 for all events.
- What do I need to bring to an event? Besides suitable running clothes and shoes, the main things you need to bring are a hydration container and a mobile phone. We supply professional first aid staff at our events and the first aid number is printed on the back of your race bib. Safety pins are supplied for attaching your bib.
- Do I need to print my registration info? There is no need to print anything to come along to an event.
- Can I start my event early or late? You can change your nominated event by following the event change process – see above, however you can’t start an event earlier or later than the designated start time for that event (if you have changed to a new event you need to start at the designated start time for that event). Starting at the wrong time could inadvertently cause you to be recorded in the wrong event – we may even think you have won an event, causing us significant grief. In emergency or safety related circumstances we need to know when you started and which course you are doing. We can’t make exceptions to this by manually starting you earlier – sorry.
- What happens when the course is closed? At the course closure pace the course is closed down – we remove timing points, trail marking and aid stations. We have a sweeper than runs the course at the course closure pace to ensure there are no runners remaining on the course. We strongly recommend that you check the course closure paces for the event and make sure that they match your ability. Usually the shorter distances have very generous paces so they are a good starting point if you are unsure.
- Will the event or social run be cancelled if the weather is poor? We may cancel or modify an event, or an organised social run, if, by 16.00 hours the previous day, BOM predicts a maximum temperature for the area in question of 38 degrees or higher, or if the CFS declares that there is extreme or catastrophic fire danger,or if BOM warns of severe weather conditions, which may include flooding, gales, lightning or hail storms.Note that national parks are in any case closed during days of catastrophic fire danger (by the CFS definition), while Forestry SA land is closed on all days of total fire bans.Entrants to TRSA events will be informed of cancellation or change of an event by email, and by an announcements on the TRSA Facebook page and the TRSA website.
- Can I wear headphones: Headphones are permitted but strongly discouraged – trail running events are generally very social. For your safety and others, you need to be highly aware of your surroundings, listen to warnings and essential instructions.
- What course marking should I look out for? Paid Trail Running SA events always feature course marking. The signs to look out for:
- Red arrows at turnoffs.
- Red-and-white ribbons to confirm that you’re on the right track.
- Wrong way signs where needed.
- Course divergence signs where needed.
The red-and-white striped ribbons will be placed at frequent intervals (200-400m) to confirm that you are on the right track. Wherever you need to turn off, there will be an arrow sign. If you stop seeing any signs, turn back. Do not carry on and get yourself even more lost. All runners are expected to carry a mobile phone.
As opposed to events, Trail Running SA social runs are often not marked – check the web page for that social run for more information.
- What are the requirements for eligibility in the random draw? To be eligible for the random draw, you must be
- A current TRSA member as of the day of the event (the membership year ends 31st of March so make sure that you have renewed for the current year!),
- Present and competing in the event, and
- Present during the presentations/random prize draw. We read names out quite quickly and move on to the next person in the random list if the prize is not claimed so make sure that you are attentive during this time!
- When is the event email briefing sent? We usually send an email briefing on the Friday afternoon before each event.
The Trail Running SA Series
- I’m looking for information on the series, including rules, points calculations and age calculation dates: Check out the 2019 series page, here.
- If you would like to volunteer: Check out the volunteering page, here.
- If you a volunteer for an event, and need to contact us: Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What is my membership number? We don’t supply a membership number and track members using their last name, date of birth and email address.
- When does my membership run out? The membership year runs until 31st March.
- How can I confirm that I am a current member? We send out an email upon registration of membership so the easiest way is to confirm that you received the email. Search your email inbox for an email with the subject of “Registration confirmation for Trail Running SA membership”. If you have a work email and a private email, make sure you check both as sometimes people forget which one they registered under.
- How do I become a member? See the membership page, here.
- Do I need to register for a social run? No, nor do you need to pay anything. They are casual and free of charge.
- Do I need to be a member to attend a social run? No – although membership is only $10 – see here.
- I would like to attend a social event for the first time. What should I do? Just rock up. If you are concerned that you might be too slow, make yourself known to the organiser who will try to put you in touch with someone else your pace.
- Are social runs supported? Social runs are unsupported – unlike an event there is no timing, no first aid, no aid stations, and no facilities beyond what the park already provides. You are expected to carry food, water, basic first aid, to look after each other apply common sense at all times.
- Am I able to bring my dog on leash to a social run? This depends on the social run and the location – see the information on Forestry SA areas here and National Parks areas here to determine if this is permitted, and follow the guidelines that are given.
- How do I download the map into the Guru app (formerly Galileo)? Check the social run page. Above each map on the page is a link that says “how to download these maps on your phone”.
Querying the results/timing of an event or series scores
- For the Race Competition Rules click here
- Not completing an event: If you do not complete the event that you nominated your entry will be classed as a DNF.
- My age category is incorrect: Age categories are calculated as of the 1st of January. This is so that we can keep you in the same age category throughout the series.
- Timing / Query about the results of an event? Click here to submit a query.
- Errors in the results: Click here to submit a query.
- Error in series score: Click here to submit a query.
- Please note we aim to have final results posted by the Wednesday after the event.
If you have a question that our community could answer – try asking in the Trail Running SA Lounge on Facebook.
Our email address is email@example.com . Please carefully read through all the information above before contacting us as there is a good chance your question has already been answered above 🙂
Our social runs are held most Sundays when there is not another trail running event. We also do social runs Tuesday evenings and Thursday mornings. These are often announced the week before. To stay notified, sign up to our newsletter using the form below and make sure that you are following us on Facebook as social runs are often announced there.